AGP Executive Report
Last update: 2 hours agoCanada-U.S. Trade War Escalates: Prime Minister Mark Carney says the U.S. tried to impose “last-minute” demands that would restrict Canada’s sovereignty and auto and cultural protections, so Ottawa suspended talks and is now preparing retaliation. Tariffs Hit Immediately: The U.S. imposed 50% tariffs on about $20B (or $28B in some reports) of Canadian goods after the deal collapsed, with Carney calling it an “economic attack” and warning “you’re at war when you get attacked.” Dollar-for-Dollar Retaliation: Carney vowed Canada will match U.S. tariffs starting Sept. 8, targeting sectors including steel, dairy, appliances, agricultural equipment, pulp and paper, electronics, and other previously targeted items. Provincial Unity Push: Ontario Premier Doug Ford backed Carney and urged premiers not to be an “outlier,” while B.C. Premier David Eby said “no deal is better than a bad deal” and that returning U.S. alcohol shelves is “absurd” right now. Local Impact Spotlight: Ontario businesses and groups are bracing for higher costs and uncertainty as the tariff fight moves from negotiations to implementation.
Note: AI summary from news headlines; neutral sources weighted more to help reduce bias in the result. Feedback is welcome. Please let us know if you have any comments or suggestions about the AGP Executive Report.